Thursday, October 22, 2009

Grocery Budgeting

I started keeping track of my grocery money on August 16th. I always had a budget before that, but on that day, I created an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of all the money I spend at each store I go to. I budgeted $96.15 a week, which is $5000 a year. I've read other blogs where women spend $800 a year on their family of 4, which I know is not realistic for us. I figured I'd try $96.15 and see what happened.

In the past 10 weeks, I've averaged $69.17 a week! I'm not done with this week yet, so it will go up, but I am no where near hitting my budget. So this means two things. One - spend more to meet my budget to stockpile more. Or two - reduce the budget. So on December, my budget is going down to $86.54 a week, a drop of 10%. I want to steadily decrease this budget so we can save more for other more important things. All those pennies add up to big savings!

Do you have a set grocery budget for a week, month, or year? How are you doing on it?

No comments:

Post a Comment